Today we begin our March writing challenge of 'Slice of Life'. Something I have never done before. Currently I am watching the kiddos in my class thinking, typing and talking. Some of them are rather serious, pondering about the aspect of life they are happy to write about. Some students are clustered in the corners of the room chatting about what others should write. There is a gentle lull in the room which I love.These kids are pretty amazing. Hilarious most of the times, serious and vulnerable at other times. Every day they provide me with more questions to ponder and another daily dose of responsibility. I am pretty lucky to be in this position, perched up on the bench legs crossed typing away about these kids while they think and wonder about the world about them. It's amazing what they are able to accomplish on daily basis. I think back to the time when I was in 5th grade - so much they experience are the same yet so different. I am hopeful for the future where these kiddos will grow to be leaders. I wonder what kind of people they will become in 20 years' time.
Slice of Life #2
It is amazing to notice how different locations trigger certain emotions. One evening, I had to accompany my husband to an emergency room at a hospital - no worries, he's fine. His knee had ballooned and he was in a lot of pain - all from brushing his teeth.
The room was simple, brightly lit and subdued but I had to laugh as he had to get up and down a seat to see a doctor, to get his blood pressure checked, X-rayed etc. Hospitals didn't really hold much emotion for me until about 11 years ago until my husband and I flew to Singapore to see a world renowned orthopaedic surgeon. Needless to say, the encounter with that surgeon was a lesson in character building. So now, hospitals are not a place I enjoy visiting or being in.
As we moved along to the foyer I noticed many patients and guests smiling. Perhaps they were happy to catch up with their guests, may be they were happy to leave their room even for a bit. I imagined that each person sitting and chatting have their own stories to tell. I wondered whether it was a happy story.
We sat at a couch eating an ice cream, appreciating the opportunity to sit and relax a bit after a stressful moment. It's a humble experience to know all will be okay, to appreciate the health that we do have.
No comments:
Post a Comment